We love our cats as much as you love yours, that’s why we always want to take care of them and the environment they live in.
If a household is not kept clean for our own health as well as our pets, their health and ours may be compromised. In some cases, they may experience Antifreeze poisoning – one of the most common forms of poisoning that occurs in cats.
Antifreeze poisoning typically happens when antifreeze leaks out of a car’s radiator and the cat licks the liquid from the ground. In the winter, a toilet bowl containing antifreeze might be licked by our cat as well. There are also homes that apply anti-freeze to their household pipes especially during the winter months, which can be lethal for our pets too.
But what makes this seemingly harmless to humans chemical be very lethal to our cats? Well, antifreeze is lethal to small animals because of its content toxin ethylene glycol (this same toxin can also be found in vehicle engine coolant and hydraulic brake fluids so better watch out on those as well).
The reaction of the cat, once consumed, will be so fast that the they will not have a chance to react or repulse from its aftertaste and will be poisoned.
Less than 3 oz consumed will be fatal– it will immediately cause poisoning effects to our cat's liver, kidneys and even the brain.
So how to know whether your cat has been poisoned by Antifreeze? Here are some common signs:
- Drunken behavior
- Wobbly movement.
- Rapid Heartbeat.
- Unusually frequent urination.
If you recognize any of these symptoms in your cat, please DON'T WAIT contact us immediately!